ASK ANDY: Choosing Partners, Slaying Giants - MFQA2
Ask Andy: How to Choose a Business Partner, How to Compete with Industry Giants
How do you choose the right partner to go into business? How can you compete in an industry that is dominated by one or two giant companies? In his trademark no b.s. style, The MFCEO Andy Frisella answers these questions. Joining him in the studio is his co-host, Vaughn Kohler.
Question #1: How to Choose a Business Partner
Here are Andy's basic principles for how to choose a business partner:
- Find someone who wants to get shit done, not get the spotlight
- Find someone who is good at things you are not good at, and likes to do the things you don't like to do
- Find someone you respect and enjoy hangout out with
- Find a good, moral person who does the right things
- Realize that every partnership is risky. You are going to have disagreements. In order to succeed, find a way to resolve your conflicts constructively
Question #2: How to Compete with Giants in Your Industry
Here are Andy's basic ideas for competing in an industry that is dominated by one or two giant companies
- Look for areas (offline and online) where that company is not active - and sell your service/product there
- Look into alternative ways to promote your brand. Find other people have a good voice and occupy a good space and get them talking about you.
- If you can disrupt the status quo and carve out a good space in the industry, the giants might want to try to buy you out. That's a legit option!
- Above all, find a way to be "the people's brand" - win customers one-at-a-time be providing an exceptional experience!
Links Mentioned In This Episode
Books Mentioned In This Episode
Also in MFCEO Project Podcast
There are people in life who have been given opportunities & given every possible advantage & guess what? They still lose. And they are miserable. Then there are those who didn't grow up with a good family & didn't have any of the resources that most people do & had tons of really bad sh*t happen to them...but guess what? In spite of all that, they find a way to WIN. And those people are happy. They are proud of who they are. Which kind of person are you? Be honest. Winner or loser? Miserable or happy? Read More
On Thanksgiving everybody gets in the mood to be grateful. That's good. But the problem is that exercising gratitude is something you should do everyday, because it's essential to success. In this episode, I talk about how I cultivate gratitude. I also explain that while winners recognize that life is hard & that there's bad sh!t in the world, they still believe that being alive is a good thing. They are thankful for life. They believe that there's good in the world worth fighting for...& they fight for it! Read More
Heavy D & Diesel Dave are in the house! The guys from The Diesel Brothers, the hit show on The Discovery Channel, joined us in the studio and we talked about everything from custom builds & skid loaders to building a multi-million-dollar brand & what it takes to win big in business & succeed at everything you do. These guys are seriously good dudes - men of character who also happen to be first-rate entrepreneurs. Listen up & you'll laugh & learn a ton. Read More