I could write a literal novel about the impact this man has made on my life...
...and a lot of you could too.
Instead...In honor of Father’s Day, I thought I’d share 25 of Big Jim’s best lessons he taught me growing up:
1. Always give a firm handshake, look someone in the eye & say “Nice to meet you”.
2. Be aggressive.
3. Make friends. Not enemies. Never be too proud to be the one who buries the hatchet.
4. Always do the right thing.
5. When you do the wrong thing admit it, apologize, and make it right.
6. Keep your eye on the ball. Always.
7. Make a list. Call a list. When? Now.
8. Having more than one woman is an expensive headache.
9. Never forget you’re a South St.Louis County redneck who grew up on a gravel road.
10. Every working man deserves your respect. No matter if he mops the floors or runs the joint.
11. Be nice to animals and good things happen to you.
12. Learn to say “No” and don’t feel bad about it.
13. Give back.
14. ALWAYS support those who support you.
15. Sometimes you have to punch people in the face.
16. There are winners. There are losers. You don’t want to be a loser.
17. Kill. Kill. Kill.
18. Make time to have a few beers with your buddies.
19. Life isn’t fair.
20. Do good by others and usually they will do good by you...but not always.
21. You’re going to make mistakes.
22. When you do what’s right...you’ll never have to look over your shoulder.
23. Beer always makes the ugly ones prettier...but it makes your jokes better too.
24. You can speak Spanish effectively if you add an “El” before any english word and an “o” at the end. “El Beero”
25. You can do whatever the fuck you want.
Happy Father’s Day Dad...thanks for all the lessons!